November 25, 2009

Many Reasons to Give Thanks

Psalm 69:30 I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.

There are so many reasons for me to give thanks... when I attempt to count my blessings, I invariably lose myself in the warmth of God's great love for me and my family.
I have an amazing family.  Yes, I know I am a bit biased on the subject, and we are not perfect by any means, but I think they are all pretty terrific. 
My parents are supportive and loving.  Doting grandparents who would try to move the stars for the kids if there was a need.  They have given me a great example of a loving marriage and caring parenting to carry forward.
My husband... well... it's hard to know where to begin when talking about Steve.  He is one of the smartest men I know, he makes me laugh, is a great Dad and loving, caring husband.  He has been gifted by God with discernment that can be disconcerting at times, but is always direct and kind.  He is firm in his beliefs without reservation or apology.  He is a fantastic role model and teacher.  Strong athletically and intellectually.  He even likes my cat! :-)
My children... I have three at home now.  
A is our oldest boy, in his first year of college classes locally.  As many young men his age, he has his amazing heights of maturity and then those days where...well... we will just say "those days".  He is kind, helpful, strong and driven when his interest is piqued. I know that God has great plans for his life and we are all waiting on the Lord to reveal those plans.
J is our beautiful daughter on the brink of young-woman-hood.  She is smart, funny and loving.  She loves to read, loves animals and at the moment even loves math (crazy baby is enjoying learning Algebra!). God has also given her the gift of music through playing the piano.  J is very helpful and is learning where God has gifted her for service to others.  Her passions run deep, her heart is soft, her convictions very strong.  There is not a part of her that is swayed easily to change if she cannot be shown that the Lord requires such change.  Now she is embarking on the journey of becoming a godly young woman who seeks to please God and find His purpose for her life.
B is my baby... though he really doesn't like it when I call him that anymore.  He is a decade from baby-hood now and won't let Mom forget.  He is my warrior knight.  Willing to slay dragons and bad guys, as long as they don't masquerade as a spider in the bathroom.  He is working diligently to memorize scripture and hide God's word in his heart.  B has inherited his Daddy's logical mind and is often astonishing in his abilities in those areas that require that particular talent.  He also loves to read and his battlefield tactics in the computer animated world of historical warfare are stunning.  Athletic endevours are a growing interest and he has exhibited some natural talent there, though it is secondary to his God given musical gift with the piano. 

This has turned into a post of just my family - I love them all so dearly and could talk about them forever. They are the beginning of my song of Thanksgiving to the Lord as each is a gift and a blessing from above in my life.  My prayer is always that I remember to thank the Lord for every good thing in my life, and even for those things that are not so good at the moment, but that I know ultimately will be used for His glory.


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment