December 21, 2009

How shall you live?

I wrote about the new book I'm using for my devotional time with the Lord - in addition to my Bible of course. :-)
This morning I spent a glorious hour sitting at the feet of my Lord - figuratively of course, but there is another blog I've been reading that talks about our study time being spent at Jesus' feet as Mary did, instead of being distracted by busy-ness as Martha was... but I digress.
This morning I got up with Steve and had coffee and enjoyed the peace and quiet of a house full of sleeping children while I did my study time. I worked on chapter 3 of my book Faith of our Fathers and it was really amazing.  This chapter focused on the fact that we can not live separate from what we TRULY believe.  That is not to say that we can't make statements about our beliefs and then negate them with actions - that happens ALL the time.  Our government is FULL of people who do this constantly.  Our jobs, stores, churches and homes are full of people who do this regularly.
Be that as it may, it does not negate the fact that what we LIVE is actually showing the truth of what we believe - regardless of what our mouths may say.  And prime example of this is the person who says they are "pro-life" and then votes to support any bills or funding or whatever - that allows abortion.  There is a disconnect between the words and the actions, and we've all heard our parents tell us that actions speak much louder than words.
This is truth at its most basic level.  You live what you believe - your actions are truth more than your words.
I have often told my children a saying that I believe is valid: "Right is right, even if no one is doing it.  Wrong is wrong, even if EVERYONE is doing it."
We must live out our faith and our belief daily. This is how we are called to live in scripture. We are commanded to do what is right, live at peace (as much as it depends on us), love our neighbor better than ourselves.
In this season of Christmas, it is often easy to give or help others because our hearts are full of the "spirit" of Christmas - however, the real Spirit of Christmas is the Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus, our Lord.  He is with us all the time - not just in December.  He has called us to follow Him daily - not just when their are holly decorations.  We are to strive to live our talk - our claim to belong to Jesus - every day of the year.  When we are sick, when we are tired, when we are cranky, when the kids are cranky, when we are at the grocery store or the beach, when we are stressed out, when we are on vacation, when we are entertaining family/friends and when we are struggling - every moment, every breath belongs to the one who paid such an immeasurable price for us.  We are not our own, and we should live to show the world that we are thankful, joyful and overflowing with the love of the Savior.
I know there are days when I just plain don't feel like it, and those days when it seems easier.  God knows this about me, and He meets me where I am.  When I pray and tell Him that I'm sorry for blowing it again - He forgives.  When I ask Him to help me, give me strength, bite my tongue or loosen my tongue, give me courage, or even just put someone in my path that needs a smile - He does.
More and more often I pray that the Lord will show me some small way to be useful for His kingdom, for His purpose, and to bring glory only to Him.  That is why I'm here.  It isn't about me.  It's about living a life that reflects Him and shows His love and provides all praise and honor only for Him who is worthy.
This year I am feeling such joy and peace.  More than I ever have before during this time of year. I feel loved, valued and very blessed.  I pray that each person on the planet will find Jesus and feel His amazing gift of grace & mercy that brings forgiveness and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment