April 4, 2012

Can I be 'barefoot'?

I am reading this book right now...slowly.

Barefoot Church by Brandon Hatmaker.  I say I'm reading it slowly because there is a lot to absorb and process.  For example: "We can try to argue that our actions and words function independent of one another, with out consequence. But one thing is for certain: our observers never separate the two."  (sorry I can't reference a page - I have it on my kindle).

I honestly think this book is one of those that God could use (like David Platt's book Radical) to really change me... but only if I am willing to be changed.  I am willing and that scares the stuffing out of me... and probably my family too. :-) 
Being willing to serve and proclaim... both in unity.  To reach out to the 'least' in love as Jesus did and to do so honestly in faith.  To move away from what I have always experienced & known in my American suburban 'church' experience to live what Jesus really taught as how to live as the body of Christ in action - the church.  It doesn't seem that it ought to be such a stretch, but it is in most cases as far as my personal experience has been.  We serve as an 'event' instead of a way of life.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't what Jesus had in mind.

I have a few more on my 'to read' stack (7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess and Interrupted - both by Jen Hatmaker)  - actually I have  HUGE stack to read... but those have migrated to the top of the stack.

I have so much to learn...and then to do.  I have to be willing to say "Here am I, send me."  Isaiah 6:8



Blessings on the journey~

No comments:

Post a Comment