January 9, 2014

Welcoming 2014

**photo credit Steve (my amazing husband) 
2014
Wow!

I am really looking forward to seeing what will happen during this new year.  Last year saw so many changes in our lives... things that I never imagined could actually happen, yet God moved so powerfully in so many situations that I was awed in all new ways by His grace and loving care.

The new year is always full of promise - similar to the Fall for me when I feel on the verge of big changes due to the magnificent display of color changing around me here in New Hampshire and the beginning of a new home school year with the kids.  But a new year is also fun because it gives me a chance to read and ponder the goals and resolutions that people have published around the web.  A new-ish thing seems to be choosing a word to be the focus of a new year.  People choose things like "faith" or "change" or "give" or "breathe" or "whatever strikes their fancy".  Others choose a specific verse of scripture or some other personally meaningful phrase.  And there are those who go the traditional route of making a list of resolutions (exercise more, save more money, smile more, learn to knit, etc.).

I have done exactly none of these.
Boring?  Perhaps.  
Unambitious? A case could be made for that adjective. 
Realistic? 

I would choose that last one.  While I am a list person generally speaking and like to have measurable goals to work towards in different areas, right now I'm in a place where God is in the process of teaching me contentment.  There is a definite learning curve to what it means to have 'enough' in various areas of my life and how to deal appropriately with the areas where there is abundance or scarcity.

2013 brought enormous changes in pretty much every area of my life and that is not easy for a person who doesn't really 'do change well' as I've been known.  I think it is safe to say that the changes were all good ones and things that were welcomed and rejoiced over in most cases.  That isn't to say there were not struggles and stresses and tears, but those are not the memories I'm choosing to embrace.

All of this means that for right now I'm not making big huge ambitious lists or choosing some lofty goal for the new year.  I have a few things muddling around in my brain but they are more mundane - like the potential for a vegetable/herb garden, some sewing projects, helping J learn to drive and find a part-time job, reading through the Bible entirely again, improving my cooking skills and learning to like some new vegetables. Nothing earth shattering, but movement in positive directions is generally a good idea even if it is boring at times.

I look forward to seeing how God will move in our lives and the lives of people we know this year. Watching Him work is never dull.  The beginning of our life in the country has been positive in terms of building new community and friendships and I'm very hopeful of seeing that continue.

Happy 2014 everyone - may this new year bring fresh gifts of grace that allow us the opportunity to give praise to God for all things (tears and laughter).

Blessings on the journey~

No comments:

Post a Comment