January 5, 2010

Random thoughts from reading & writing

Generally I enjoy writing.  Blogging is an extension of that in a more modern sense, an electronic (and sometimes horrifyingly public) version of the old paper & ink journal by the bed.  At the moment, I think I'm pretty anonymous in the blog-o-sphere.  Not many people are aware that I have begun a blog, and I'm fairly certain that anyone who is aware, isn't reading or doesn't find it terribly fascinating.  That is okay and I'm not upset or offended - this isn't about anyone else anyway.
I read a lot of blogs and the ones where people talk about their faith, once they are discovered by someone who is not like-minded, tend to generate a lot of hate filled comments.  It is pretty sad really.  Those who claim to be "progressive" and "open-minded" are pretty hateful and intolerant of anyone who actually has a firmly held belief in something that disagrees with them.  Christians are often targeted as bigots, homophobes, racists, hateful individuals.  I suppose it can be a just criticism for some, at times, but those traits are not specific to one group.  Often the people screaming those accusations are guilty of the same intolerance, just directed in a different direction - like at the Christians.
Why would someone who claims to be 'tolerant' freak out that someone else doesn't agree with their point of view?  It seems counter-intuitive.  If you are really tolerant, you shouldn't care if someone disagrees with you.
I have a lot of things that I believe.  I believe above of all that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. That he died on the cross to pay for all sin, was buried, rose from the dead on the 3rd day and is seated at the right hand of the Father and will come again to judge the world and rule forever.
I believe that my husband loves me.  That my children are a blessing from God.  That trials and difficulties are meant to grow us in some way, even when we can't understand it. That pets add a great deal of joy and stress to life.  That chocolate and ice cream are good in moderation.  That reading is fun.  That sewing is fun.  That friends are a gift.  That exercise is a necessary, but not always fun thing.  Same for vegetables.  I also believe that our nation is the best in the world, though that may be a short-lived thing given the current people running things. I believe that God is personal and loves us yet will judge all sin.  I believe in absolute truth.
Knowing what you believe is really important.  It provides the foundation for the choices you make each day.
I am trying to teach my children that knowing what you believe, why you believe it, and how to defend your beliefs is important and necessary.  It has taken me many years to realize this importance.  When I was 20, I had no idea why it mattered what I believed.  Now, as my oldest child is almost 20, and I see the state of the world as run by people who don't really believe anything firmly or hold to what they claim to believe... it matters a great deal.  If you are standing on the sand.... you are not going to be there, upright and stable, for very long.  Stone is hard when it hits you, even for those who claim everything is relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment